Close

Churches and fortress

scroll

Catherine’s Cathedral. It is an outstanding monument of the 18th century built in the style of the early classicism with Balkan medieval architecture themes. The cathedral with monumental bell tower was constructed between 1782 and 1787.

It was named in honor of St. Catherine and the Empress Catherine II, who visited the cathedral in 1786. The chair that was made specifically for the Empress is preserved. In 1791, Prince Grigory Potemkin was buried in a crypt under the cathedral.

On the territory of Catherine’s Cathedral, there is “the Pantheon of Kherson fortress” – a burial place of officers who died in the Russian-Turkish war. Perekopskaya Street, 13.

Greek Sofia Church. Greek Sofia church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is the oldest church in Kherson. This stone church was built by the Greeks who settled here in the 18th century. The interior of the church has preserved wall paintings, beautiful carved iconostasis, and wooden sculptures. Bogorodytska Str. 11.

Kherson
Kherson
Kherson
Kherson

All Saints Church. The center of Kherson necropolis is All Saints Church, built in the classical style between 1804 and 1808 and expanded in the 70 years of the 19th century. It is the only Orthodox church in the city that was never closed for worship in the Soviet era.

The interior has preserved beautiful wooden carved iconostasis. In addition, the church has several interesting icons of the 17th-18th centuries. Pugachev Street, 11-a.

Kherson Fortress

Construction of the fortress began September 8, 1778 by the architect M. Vetoshkina. The head of the project was Prince Grigory Potemkin. In 1787 the castle was handed over, the event was timed to the arrival in the city of Empress Catherine II.

In 1783, admiral F. F. USHAKOV arrived in Kheson with 700 sailors for building military fleet of the Black Sea

On the territory of Komsomolsk park (on Perekopskaya Street), you can see preserved gate of Moscow (North) and arch of Ochakiv (West) built at the end of the 18th century, a powder magazine and fragments of walls.

On the opposite side of the street, there is Perekopsky Arsenal with a monumental colonnade, built in 1784. It is one of the earliest buildings of the fortress. Perekopskaya Street, 13.